Heritage Guide
  |  Salida Walking Tour  |  Buena Vista Walking Tour  | Home

Exerpts from the Salida walking tour–

Salida’s historic downtown buildings stand as monuments to the dreams, grit, determination and hard work of the city’s founders. They put up a whole new city, one that grew robust and strong on the development of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad.
While the brick structures themselves remain, little is known about those who labored to build the city. Downtown’s developers are largely forgotten men and women who staked their lives and their futures on Salida.
For the most part, it’s only in the pages of early newspapers that these builders are noted. Mulvany, Webb, Roller, McGovern, Bowne, Disman, Robertson, Sandusky, Craig, Eddy, Alger, Bateman, McKenna, Hively, Twitchell — over and over again, these names and many others come up as those responsible for what we see downtown today. More than a century later, while we admire their work and their efforts, we know little about their backgrounds and history.


140 W. First, Antiques on First, in 2004. Denise Ronald photo.

Antiques on First
17) Occupants: Antiques on First.
Construction date: 1904-08

From the Sanborn maps, it appears this two-story brick commercial structure went up in two stages: the western half circa 1904 and the eastern half about 1908. In 1904, the first section contained a grocery. Four years later, the grocery moved into the newly constructed portion and the original building served as storage.
All original elements — transom, recessed entrances, and display windows — are intact. Rough-cut stone accents this lower level.

348 W. First
19) Unoccupied
Construction date: 1904
A simple corbel table at the roof line distinguishes this single story brick commercial structure (actually two structures). The storefront area has been extensively modified. In 1909, the building housed a grocery store and a grocery warehouse.

Salida Bottling
20) 211 W. First St.
Occupant: Private residence
Construction date: circa 1895
In 1904, this one-story brick structure housed part of the Salida Bottling Company. Located directly adjacent to the D&RG spur, it contained the firm’s office and a storage area. In 1909, the bottling company moved west across the railroad tracks and the building served as a storage area. Later, Guy Hall ran a coal business out of the building.
When the D&RGW pulled its Monarch spur line out in the mid-1980s, the city of Salida purchased the right of way through the city.
Since the property is on the right of way, the city became the owner. It sold the property to Jim Kittleman and his family in 1989. The Kittlemans restored the building, and once used it for retail sales and as an office.
To the rear of the building are wooden structures, the remains of coal and lime bins.

Kolbeck Buildings
21) 124 G St.
Occupant: Green Cat, The Dot
Construction date: circa 1898
According to the 1904 Sanborn Perris Map, this two-story brick building served as a hose house (containing two hand hose carts) and a hay and grain storage area. The hose house remained in this structure until approximately 1914.
The lower level features a storefront area, which would appear to be a recent modification because the building’s original function (as a hose house) would have necessitated garage entrances.

Sherman Hotel
22) 123 G St.
Construction date: circa 1895
With the corner portion of this structure constructed in the 1890s, this two-story brick features a bracketed metal cornice, double-hung windows accented by lintels and sills, and a metal mansard-like roof (mansard-like because of the unusual angle of the roof).
Initially a lodging house, in 1904 the building housed the Red Cross Hospital. The hospital then moved to another structure about 1909.
Built around 1914, a north side brick addition continues the design features of the earlier structure, and the entire building became known as the Sherman Hotel. Circa 1929, an owner connected the building to the structure on the corner of First and G streets. The back section of this building was heavily damaged by fire in January 1999. Circa 1929, the building became part of the Sherman Hotel.

23) 149-151 W. First St.
Occupant: Paulette Brodeur Gallery
Construction date: circa 1909
This rectangular two-story brick structure initially housed a saloon and restaurant. The storefronts on First Street have been modified to accommodate office space. Circa 1929, the building became part of the Sherman Hotel.

 

top